The police claim not to know the whereabouts of the bus driver and his conductor (mate) who recently assaulted a policeman, a group known as Human Rights Advocacy Centre (HRAC) has alleged.
The human rights group said both the Odorkor District Police and the Police Headquarters in Accra have denied taking custody of the accused persons.
HRAC is currently collaborating with the Car Dealers Association and Committed Drivers Association to provided legal aid for the driver and his mate.
“An Investigator at the [Odorkor Police] Station, Officer Jonas, informed us that the accused persons had been transferred to the Police Headquarters,” Executive Director of HRAC, Cynthia Ampredu-Nimo, said in a statement.
The group said upon enquiring at the Police Headquarters, they “were informed that the Police Headquarters did not maintain holding cells for remanded persons and that the accused persons could not be in their custody.”
“We are by this statement, bringing to the attention of the general public, that we do not know the whereabouts of the two accused persons,” Madam Cynthia Ampredu-Nimo added.
The group described the attitude of the police as “an obvious violation” of the accused persons right to legal representation as enshrined in the 1992 constitution.
They have, therefore, written to the Inspector General of Police to “demand immediate access to the accused persons to enable us to provide them with legal representation.”
The driver, Francis Buabeng, and his mate, Albert Ansah, are set to appear before the court on April 1 after being remanded.
The two were filmed beating up a police officer following a disagreement around the Weija to Kasoa road.
They have since been charged with conspiracy to commit a crime and causing unlawful damage, although they reported.